History

Ocean University of China (OUC) originated from the Private Qingdao University, which was first founded in October, 1924, and subsequently went through several historical changes, known respectively as National Qingdao University, National Shandong University, Shandong University, Shandong College of Oceanography, and Ocean University of Qingdao. In October 2002, the current name, Ocean University of China, was adopted. With a 28-year old (Sep. 1930-Sep. 1958) history of combination with Shandong University, the Library at OUC and that of Shandong University have a deep connection with each other, though different in origins.


The Library at OUC dates back to October 1924, with the then famous essayist and translator, Mr. Liang Shiqiu, as the first chief librarian. During the Anti-Japanese War (1931-1945), the university was forced by circumstances to move to Anhui Province and southwest China’s Sichuan Province. In October 1946, National Shandong University reopened in Qingdao. The year 1949 witnessed the liberation of Qingdao City, and Prof. Lu Kanru, a litterateur of classical Chinese literature, was appointed as the chief librarian. From 1951 to 1959, the Library experienced a period of rapid development. However, this was disturbed and came to a halt due to the Cultural Revolution (1966-1976), which brought tremendous damage and losses to the university and the Library. It was not until China’s adoption of the reform and opening-up policy that the development of Library was put back on track. The Library at Yushan campus was reopened in 1985. The Library at Fushan campus, with a total floor space of 8,200 square meters, was officially opened to students in 1992, and was dissolved and merged with libraries on other campuses in March 2010.


In 2007, the Library at Laoshan campus, which covers 45,000 square meters, was finished. Well-equipped and planned, the new Library offers 3,000 seats and has a high degree of automation. The Library holds 1.9 million printed and more than 1.1 million digital works, as well as 30,000 journals in Chinese and foreign languages, combined with 111 digital databases, by the end of 2011. The OUC Library, featuring marine-related collections, strives to maintain the continuity of its wide range of collections for its readers. Following the principle of “forging ahead with its reader,” the OUC Library is honored by the placement of an inscription by Prof. Wang Meng, a well-known contemporary writer, who is also writer-in-residence at OUC.